My heart has been heavy since coming home from Haiti. Our adoption of Darline has been up in the air. I was not prepared at all for this trip or the behavior displayed by her. I have gone back in forth in my decision and totally decided against adopting her but after much prayer and talking with my husband we are going to adopt her.
When I arrived in Haiti she was very sick. She had the measles. I had read on the CDC site there was an out break but who would of thought about her having them. Our director M let her come see me and she wanted her to return to the O for care for a few more days but she was not having it. She wanted to stay. We had to keep her separate from John and Bella in hopes of them not getting them. She threw up and had severe diarrhea all night. No one slept much that night. I called M the next morning and ask her to pick her up and bring her back when she was better. She stomped the whole way to the car in rebellion.
Most of her surprising behavior happened after she was feeling better. S and I talked and we have a lot of resources to help her through his employment if needed. I was just so worried about how this would affect TnT since they transitioned so well. We have at least two years before her homecoming and more time to prepare better for her. I ask all you praying folks to remember us and Darline in prayer.




5 comments:
Our daughter was two when we first met her and quite distant, very sensitive, prone to fits, would not walk, threw food, bit siblings, and worse. Her behavior did not improve until she was finally diagnosed with and treated for TB. She is now a delightful four year old. I'm not sure you could expect such a dramatic change in your daughter, but please don't rule out physical illness as the cause for her behavior. If we had, our daughter would be dead now.
I am very proud of you. And I will be praying.
Im very humbled Janet you will certainly change Darline's eyes from that pleading, uncertain look to a happy smiling child, even if the road is a little rocky. someday when you see her happy face and you look back at these photos, you'll be amazed. Darline has always had the same sad-soul look in every photo I've ever seen of her, save one or two, and she needs a mama desperately. I too will pray for you guys.
Janet,
Sounds like your trip was wonderful, and difficult all in one. It seems like that is just how it is when going to Haiti. I too am proud of you and your family for accepting & loving Darline. I'm sure it was a difficult decision as you must weigh the impact a child in severe need will have on your existing family. Maybe it's the immense love and support of a family like yours that will be the key ingredient in her healing.
Thank you again for getting Morelson's package to Marie. We certainly appreciate that!
Take care as you find peace with your decision,
Lisa
Hey,
I am sorry for your turmoil. I know how it feels. I want you to know that you are supported with either decision that you make concerning Darline. I will email you some day soon concerning some of the issues you have seen with Darline. We be able to compare notes.
Aves
Post a Comment